During these days of uncertainty due to the worldwide coronavirus, I thought about the well-known quote by former USA Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld,
“There are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns — the ones we don’t know, we don’t know. And if one looks throughout the history of our country and other free countries, it is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones.”
It is not within my competency to get into the finer points of Rumsfeld’s mind, so let’s concentrate on the things we do know. We know that business startups are hurting, and many of them will fail due to the outbreak of COVID-19. This is particularly true of BAM startup businesses, which are affected in many ways.
Just today as I write this, I received an appeal from a Freedom Business in India to encourage others to buy their product on-line. I also received a note from a person who works as an HR-disciple making person in a business in Cambodia. She is losing her visa and needs to return to the USA within 30-days due to new regulations connected to the virus.
Here are some ways to PRAY based on what we know right now. A later blog will provide action steps.
- For wisdom for business owners who have very little margin or capacity for downsizing and will ultimately need to make hard decisions.
- For the poor who desperately need the jobs that BAM companies are providing, and now face job loss.
- For innovative means of providing capital. Some of the ways may include increased donations or short-term low-interest loans to BAM businesses.
- For God’s people in the west who have expertise and can provide a helpline; that they will make themselves available and know where their help can be best applied.
- For innovators and inventors to have their creative juices unleashed to develop solutions which will help BAM businesses in this difficult time.
- For leaders connected to many BAM/B4t businesses who are right now considering options for how to help – RN, PL, CS, MT, JP, RB and others.
- That all believers will respond toward the most vulnerable in ways similar to how Christians responded in other pandemics. Check out this link.
- Click here to read a modified St Patrick’s prayer, thanks to Mats Tunehag.
Larry Sharp, Director of Training, IBEC Ventures